Sean “Diddy” Combs has spoken up about his decision to reassign the publishing rights back to artists and writers on Bad Boy Records. In the latest Billboard cover story, the hip-hop mogul explained that he made the decision mid-2021, but it took him the last couple of years to finalize the deal.
“I was put in a position where I felt like I had to look in the mirror,” he told Billboard. “I had to make sure that what I was standing for was my total truth. We live in a time where things are constantly evolving. And it was about reform for me. It was me looking at ways I could reform things as a person that’s been asking for change. It was just the right and obvious thing to do; something I’m proud I did.”
Combs continued: “As a businessman, there comes a time when you have to pick purpose over profit. I’m glad that I’ve seen both sides. As a businessman, I’ve evolved and was blessed to be in a position to give the publishing back.”
Earlier this month, Diddy announced the surprise arrangement, which happened alongside the label’s 30-year anniversary.
In 2020, Bad Boy signee Mase publicly called out Diddy for his “extremely unfair” business practices in a since-deleted post on Instagram. Combs said the two are “cool and good” now in the recent cover story. Read Gail Mitchell’s interview with Diddy in full.
Last night (September 12), Diddy accepted the Global Icon Award at the 2023 MTV VMAs and performed some of his classic tracks. This Friday (September 15), he’ll be releasing his forthcoming record, The Love Album – Off The Grid.