In 2021, Kristin Hayter released Sinner Get Ready, the third and final album from the California-based artist as Lingua Ignota. It was a brilliant capstone for a catalog unlike any other, a gothic hymnary bound in skin and bone and bursting with hard-won revelation. Hayter, exhausted from tapping into her experiences with domestic abuse to inform Lingua Ignota’s direction, retired the project not long after Sinner Get Ready‘s release. Today, she’s announced a new alias, The Reverend Kristin Michael Hayter, with its debut project Saved! out October 20 via Hayter’s own label, Perpetual Flames Ministries.
On “All Of My Friends Are Going To Hell,” the project’s first single, spirituality still has a sulphuric odor for Hayter. The gothic expansiveness of Lingua Ignota is traded down slightly for revival tent intimacy and doomsaying piano, with Hayter as its puritanical center. Her vocal performance is utterly dominating and by turns self-flagellating and viciously condemning, both weepy sinner and sneering nun. Hear the song in the music video below: a clip filmed, directed, and edited by Hayter.
1. I’m Getting Out While I Can
2. All Of My Friends Are Going To Hell
3. There Is Power In The Blood
5. I Will Be With You Always
6. Precious Lord, Take My Hand
7. May This Comfort And Protect You
8. The Poor Wayfaring Stranger
9. Nothing But The Blood
10. I Know His Blood Can Make Me Whole
11. How Can I Keep From Singing